Are you ready to upgrade your health but don’t know where to start?
The best place to start is in your kitchen. Let’s go on a little tour together. Start by opening your kitchen cupboards. What’s the first thing you see? Half eaten chip bags, cereal boxes and stacks of canned goods? Don’t worry, you are not alone and I have some super easy solutions for you. Let’s do this together!
What you will need:
- 2 to 3 hours of free time
- A label maker with a large amount of ribbon or a roll masking tape and a permanent marker
- 24 quart (liter) sized mason jars or glass jars with lids
- 24 pint (2-cup) sized mason jars with lids
- 24 cup sized mason jars with lids
- 20 clear glass sized spice jars. Here is a search link for a variety of jars.
- A great attitude with lots of enthusiasm for getting organized. I’m getting excited just thinking about your pantry make over.
What to do:
- Start by taking everything out of your cupboards or pantry where you store your food and spices.
- Throw away anything that is more than 6 months old or that you don’t recognize or won’t eat. This includes oils as they go rancid too (especially olive oils). If you feel like you are wasting food, think about the waste you are putting in your body. Which do you choose? A landfill or a sluggish body?
- Wipe down the shelves with some hot water and cleaning spray. (I use 1 capful of white vinegar or a squirt of natural dish soap in filtered water)
- Separate everything into categories:
- spices, sweeteners, and flours
- grains and cereals
- snacks: crackers, olives, cookies, granolas, breads, seaweeds, teas, etc.
- nuts and seeds
- oils and nut/seed butters
- condiments: unopened mustard, coconut aminos, tamari, apple cider vinegar, etc.
- superfoods: green powders, goji berries, cacao, protein powders, etc.
- Put any of the foods you are keeping that don’t already have a glass jar or nice container into one of the mason jars you purchased. Label each one. (it is best to use a label maker but masking tape is fine too). Be sure to put the date you purchased it on the bottom of the jar (spices loose much of their freshness after 6 months).
- Organize your jars into your cupboards or pantry in a way that makes the most sense to you. You can alphabetize the spices and put them in a separate drawer or cupboard near the blender or stove. Put the superfoods and things for smoothies in a cupboard or on a shelf above where your blender sits.
- Take a break and pat yourself on the back! (maybe snack on a few of your new healthy snacks)
- Next, it’s time to tackle the refrigerator. Take everything out. That’s right, you heard me! Now get all the goop off the shelves and in the produce drawers. A clean fridge = the start to a clean, healthy body.
- Throw out anything questionable. Even 1 day old leftovers start to grow bad bacteria and are not worth eating. Remember: You’re body is not a garbage disposal!
- Now it’s time to put it all back in an organized manner (see photo)
- Do the same with the door of the fridge (see photo)
- Save the freezer for another day, but make sure you get to it. You will feel so much better about your health, your kitchen and your life (it’s true) once you get this done. Now, remember to keep it this way and enjoy being able to find your healthy foods easily.
Thanks for reading and be sure to follow my blog to make sure you get my next 3 upcoming blogs on:
- How to get started on a plant-based (vegetarian) diet
- 10 easy steps to go processed sugar-free
- How to go 80% raw (even if it’s just for a week)
Easy Ways to Intermittent Fasting | Health Tips for Women with Elaina … …