As the season changes, we also go through a physical change as our bodies adapt to new temperatures. But what about our minds? Have you changed your mind lately? When you look back on your life, how many times have you thought something was a certain way, only to realize the exact opposite was true. Did you do a flip-flop? Is there anything in your life where you are now doing the opposite of what you used to do? If not, maybe it’s time to take a look at some of your habits and beliefs…
I just got back from David Wolfe‘s Longevity Now Conference in Anaheim CA. It was a 3-day weekend adventure and road trip which I took with Kate and Nicole. We did the weekend right by bringing all of our own premade salad dressings, salad greens and sprouts, our delicious homemade granola, crackers, wraps, and dips. We even brought a vitamix to use in the hotel room for smoothies and longevity coffee. It was super easy to pack for the trip and didn’t take much effort because we do this a lot (practice makes it easy). We even made late night hot medicinal elixirs in our room during a dance party with our good friend, Ben from Seeds of Life Cafe in Bali.
I love hanging out with Kate and Nicole and finding new ways to make every moment a celebration no matter what we are doing. We even stopped on the 7 -hour drive from Tucson to Anaheim to do 4 minutes of plank pose at a rest stop. Every moment counts, and every moment can be the best ever!
Over the Longevity Weekend, we heard excellent speakers who are experts in their fields. That is where I learned more, new and exciting ways of looking at things. Here are some of my top takeaways:
- David Wolfe spoke about activated charcoal and how taking it can extend your lifespan. Making every day the best day ever is do-able by claiming it out loud. Saying “This is the best day ever” can give it up to a power beyond ourselves and we don’t need to try and make it happen, it just does. Goal setting and dream work is a key to success. Medicinal mushrooms such as Chaga and Reishi in large amounts are super immune boosters. Vitamin B3 (niacin) can work to heal depression and schizophrenia. My takeaway: Detoxification is more important than nutrition. For longevity, make a morning elixir of 1 quart (liter) of water, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (such as Celtic), and between 500-1500 mg of activated charcoal (start with 500 and work up) for a 43% increase in lifespan. That’s the difference between living to be 100 and living to be 143!
- Jim Qwik spoke about speed reading and the art of remembering names. How often do you get introduced to someone only to forget their name a few minutes later? I know for me, I choose to be present and take the time to remember everyone I am interacting with. That starts with remembering their name. For speed reading, if you use a visual pacer such as a finger or pen under the words while you read, it will increase your reading speed by 25-50% (try it without for a minute and then with your finger for 1 minute and see the difference in speed). Jim said journaling is the routine to genius. Read more biographies to learn how great people lived. He read a book a day for a year! Your mind is always eavesdropping on your self-talk so make sure you are being positive in your mind. Get rid of ANTS- automatic negative talk. Self-awareness is a super power! Have a to-do list and keep your brain active through lifelong learning and longevity practices. My takeaways: Read 1 book a week and use a visual pacer. Remember people’s names with MOM: be Motivated to remember by asking yourself, why it’s important to remember, be Observant by paying attention at the moment and use Mechanics such as picturing Jim working out in a Gym
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman spoke about lowering our IGF1 (insulin-like growth factor 1) through eating low glycemic food, eating more greens, eliminating ALL grains (this includes corn and sugar cane) and heavy animal protein. He said that a study of people aged 50-65 for 18 years showed that people who ate less than 10% animal protein by weight had a 75% decrease in death. Too much protein is actually more harmful to the body than too much fat. Protein increases inflammation and oxidative stress. People who ate more than 10% animal protein had a 4-fold increase in cancer. My takeaway: Remember to supplement with DHA and EPA by taking 200 mg. a day for optimal lifespan and brain function.
- Dr. Mercola spoke about peak fasting (also known as intermittent fasting). Stop eating 3 hours before bed , do not eat for 13-18 hours 3 days a week (that means a 6-8 hour eating window), fast 1 day a week for optimal longevity and to create more ketosis which extends lifespan. He said to avoid high mounts of protein, although he does advocate eating some fish. He mentioned that the Cronometer has the most accurate data for people who want to track their food intake. He talked about cycling. That means interchanging both fasting and eating. If you fast too much you go into low metabolism, and if you eat too much….well we all know what happens. The body needs cycles as it did before we were domesticated. Best vegetable fats for fuel: Avocados (he eats 3 a day), real olive oil (watch out for food fraud), coconut oil, MCT oil (especially the octane 8 which increases ketosis), raw cacao butter, macadamia nuts, pecans and seeds. DHA is the most important fat and it’s better from seafood. Avoid at all costs if you still eat seafood: Shrimp because it’s loaded with chemicals and antibiotics. My takeaway: Get at least 1-hour in the sun with your feet planted on the earth (earthing) for optimal vitamin B production and overall health.
- John Gray talked about the different hormones of men and women. High testosterone is characterized by our flight or fight response, the feelings of achievement and independence. This is why men lower stress by not thinking. Going into overwhelm, as so many women do, actually takes us out of our feminine and into our masculine. Small doses of Lithium Orotate can balance moods and hormones. My takeaway: If a woman is overwhelmed, she is not in her feminine side, so I will remember to dance or move my body when I feel overwhelmed.
- Wim Hof- I love this guy! He is the master of cold. He’s set world records for withstanding cold temperatures, swimming in ice water and climbing Mt. Everest in shorts. His message is that deep breathing coupled with holding the breath out for as long as possible (up to 2 minutes) and following up with an ice bath can give you huge amounts of energy and
- Increases Alertness
- Refines Hair and Skin
- Improves Immunity and Circulation
- Stimulates Weight Loss
- Speeds Up Muscle Soreness and Recovery
- Eases Stress
- Relieves Depression. I for one am a believer because I’ve been practicing his breathing techniques for the last 10 weeks. It’s a bit hard to take a cold shower in Tucson but I am looking into getting a big freezer to make my own ice baths. My takeaway: “Just breathe man and embrace the cold!”
Getting a dose of Community. One reason I continue to go to festivals, expos, conferences and retreats is to experience the feeling of connection and community with my fellow health seekers. It’s so satisfying to be a part of something bigger than my everyday life. I love meeting people who are choosing to upgrade and expand their current understanding of their bodies, minds, and spirits. I want to keep that feeling going all the time. I know it’s not possible for most of us (including me) to attend something like this every weekend. This is why Pure Joy Planet will continue to grown our Pure Joy Family so we can connect, learn, grow and evolve together in whatever capacity our students can show up for.
As a way of continuing this feeling, I invite you to join our Pure Joy Family by being part of our 1-month Plant-Based Bootcamp coming up in November 2016. It’s not just about the food. We will be incorporating a lot of what I spoke about in this blog too. You will get daily video calls with me and our Team, daily recipe demonstrations and lessons, meditation tools and life techniques to get you feeling your best. Plus, the connections and interactions you get with everyone else in the group can be transformational.
At the end of our 4 weeks together we plan to create an immersion weekend for all of our inspired participants who would like to attend a retreat setting and connect even deeper. Our goal is to eventually host educational weekends like the Longevity Conference so everyone can have access to transformational information about upgrading their life and their health. Sign up for our Bootcamp today and get ready to transform your own life!
Why Are We So Triggered? Techniques to Regain Your Footing, Be In Your Heart Portal, And Follow Your Bliss
Why are we so Triggered? Techniques to Regain your Footing, be in … …
6 Minute Meditation with Elaina| Full Body Healing Listen Here: https://purejoyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Silver-River-Chakra-Meditation-and-Body-Healing.mp3 When … …