External Cleansing Tips: Dry Skin Brushing, Oil Pulling, Sunbathing, Sauna, Exercise, and more!
During this time of quarantine, there are a lot of ways you can help yourself stay youthful and vibrant, slim, and sexy:
Dry Skin Brushing: optimally 1x a day. Realistically 1-2x a week
When cleansing, it is imperative to allow your body to fully detoxify through your skin. The skin is our largest eliminative organ, so use it! Dry skin brushing is an excellent way to not only eliminate excess skin which is blocking proper elimination, but it will help to actually balance hormones and meridian points in the body while stimulating the immune system. Do this before a shower or Detox Bath (instructions below). This only takes 5 minutes a day.
Are super helpful for muscle relaxation, recovery, and stress relieving! Be sure to give yourself ample time to get the most out of your detox bath. Stay in your detox bath for at least twenty minutes. You have to give the ingredients time to work on your skin!
- 2-3 cups Epsom salts
- Chamomile tea (2-3 cups steeped ahead of time) for calming and inflammation soothing
- 10-20 drops lavender essential oil (other essential oils like ginger, eucalyptus, frankincense)
- 1-2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups baking soda (skip Epsom salt if using baking soda) for balancing PH levels and draw out toxins
This practice has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine as a natural way to promote oral health. It was traditionally used for tooth decay, bad breath, bleeding gums, but it’s also wonderful as a natural tooth whitening practice or a quick and easy way to get rid of mouth sores. Bacteria have fat within and around their membrane which draws them towards the particles of oil swirling in the mouth and out of cavities
Do this practice in the morning, ideally x1 a day but start with x1 per week:
- Measure 2 tsp. Oil (either unrefined coconut oil or raw sesame oil)
- Swish around your mouth like you would mouthwash for 5-10 minutes (work your way up to 15 minutes)
- Spit the oil into the trash can once you are done (not down the sink!) and be sure not to swallow any oil.
- Immediately brush teeth well after to get all the bacteria you pulled up out. You can also rinse with salt water (dissolve 1 Tbsp. mineral salt in 2 cups warm water and leave a cup at your bathroom sink)
Sauna + Cold Therapy
- Benefits of cold: lowers damaged tissue’s temperature.
- releases endorphins.
- constricts the blood vessels.
- reduces swelling and inflammation.
- stabilizes blood pressure.
- relieves muscle spasms.
- numbs nerve endings for immediate pain relief.
- promotes circulation to injured tissue.
- Benefits of sauna:
- Improve overall health, wellness, and performance
- Aid in recovery after intense physical activity
- Flush toxins via sweating process
- Improve brain health
- Relieve stress
- Can induce a deeper sleep
- Can help fight illness
- Cleanses the skin.
- When to do: Optimally 5x a week 3-5 minute cold plunge. 5x a week 20-minute sauna. If you are at home and don’t have either one of those, here are some suggestions: Run cold water into your bathtub for the cold plunge, and/or a 5 minute cold shower. You can also purchase a horse/cow water trough for $70. Sauna: Take a super hot bath and/or buy a single person sauna that is under $150
- Benefits of cold: lowers damaged tissue’s temperature.
Moving the lymph is one of the best things you can do for your health! Did you know that rebounding Works the abdominal (core), leg, buttock, and deep back muscles?
- May help improve endurance
- May stimulate the lymphatic system. Rebounding may help your body flush out toxins, bacteria, dead cells, and other waste products.
- May help improve balance, coordination, and overall motor skills.
- Supports bone density, bone strength, and bone formation, while decreasing bone resorption so it may be a good option if you have osteoporosis. Bouncing puts small amounts of pressure on the bones, which helps them grow stronger.
- May support pelvic floor health, according to anecdotal reports. Bouncing works the muscles of the deep core that help prevent urinary incontinence and stabilize hip joints.
- Walking for 20 minutes a day has been shown to improve your longevity and health.
- The Dirty Dozen Core exercises create great tone and can be done in less than 20 minutes (link here)
- Jumping rope helps with:
Increased calorie-burning: Research has shown that jumping rope can help you burn over 1,000 calories per hour.
Increased muscle engagement: With weighted jump ropes, you engage more muscle groups with every workout, leading to better results.
Improved cardio: jumping rope can raise your heart rate two to three times faster than other exercises and offer the same aerobic building benefits as running with less impact on the joints.
Improved mental sharpness: jumping rope helps with the development of the left and right hemispheres of your brain, which enhances spatial awareness, improves reading skills, increases memory, and makes you more mentally alert.
It’s fun: the jumping rope is a fun way to achieve your fitness goals. It’s fun to work on new skills, like double-unders and crisscrosses. It’s fun to be able to take it on the road and do your workouts anywhere. It’s fun to share with a partner.
After her daily morning outdoor cold plunges (even in 40-degree weather), Elaina likes to go sunscreen free in her bathing suit and garden and/or lay on a lounge chair to dry off. Try to find some time each day (even 10 minutes) to sit or lay in the sunshine (preferably sunscreen free). Bonus benefits:
- Increases vitamin D levels
- Improves mood- Happy, happy, joy, joy!
- Adds a rosy glow to your skin
- Warms you up for the day
- Tunes you into the seasons and to nature
In Case you Missed it: Quarantine Home Spa Series Part 1 | Homemade Face Masks, Toothpaste, Natural Skin Care
Why Are We So Triggered? Techniques to Regain Your Footing, Be In Your Heart Portal, And Follow Your Bliss
Why are we so Triggered? Techniques to Regain your Footing, be in … …
6 Minute Meditation with Elaina| Full Body Healing Listen Here: https://purejoyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Silver-River-Chakra-Meditation-and-Body-Healing.mp3 When … …